We have all done it. The consequences can be dramatic.
According to the NFPA (US), cooking appliances are the main cause of domestic fires:
- 49% of cases - 21% of deaths - and 45% of injuries.
Some NFPA figures:
- 66% are due to ignition of food or other cooking products;
- 14% of deaths are due to ignition of clothing;
- 62% of fires involve cooktops and cookers;
- 31% of cases and 48% of deaths are related to lack of supervision;
- Frying is the most involved cooking method.
Always switch off your cooking appliances - such as a cooker or deep fryer - before leaving them unattended.
Prevention tips and videos
https://www.nfpa.org/cooking (in English)